Monday, July 5, 2010

Running for Beer

I grew up in a family that celebrates the Boilermaker 15K road race. For anyone who doesn't know, it is a 9.3 mile road race that ends at a giant party. There is a ton of free beer, a fly over, and lots of fun. It is one thing that I have looked forward to every year since I was about 10 or 11. I've jogged the full run 6 times, and now I prefer their shorter 5K alternative.

I think of the Boilermaker first because it is this weekend. I once again look forward to the family, fun, and 5K, but I also think of it now because during this Fourth of July weekend I have foregone my running for the party. Saturday I was supposed to run 15 minutes, but instead I went to a concert and had some fun dancing to the music. Today I was supposed to run, but instead I went to a swimming hole and had dinner and beer on a restaurant patio.

Fun but, failure from a training point of view.

Time to recall the lessons of the Boilermaker-run first and then have a beer.

One other lesson since my last poat:
Get up early and workout before it is 97 degrees during this heat wave, otherwise you never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment