Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Lesson from ABA

As you may know, I just finished a year as an Autism Support teacher in an ABA (Applied Behavioral Analyis) based school. One thing I learned in ABA is that if you start to see negative behaviors increase then increase the reinforcement schedule and use different reinforcers. Also, food is the most basic reinforcer.

In my case, my negative behavior is skipping workouts, and I have decided to reinforce myself with lunch. In general I try to eat breakfast and lunch at home and not buy these foods during the week to save money. Today I had a good day of working out though. I completed my slow 20 minute jog even though the "Real Feel" temperature was above 90, and then I swam. I did 700 total including the 200 freestyle without stopping from my original workout schedule. How did I reward myself for this workout?

Sushi!!

There is a to go sushi place on the way home from the pool, so I stopped for a salmon roll with avocado and cucumber. Delicious!! It was a refreshing treat, and I think perhaps more sushi lunch rewards will be in my future. What rewards do you enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment